Tuesday, May 24, 2011

New features!

Now that you all have been reading my ramblings for a few weeks now, I thought it would be a good time to establish a few "features" as a regular part of my blog.  They will appear at random on a monthly basis.  Today, you get to read the first of each category!

# # #

"Book/Movie Review" - This feature will either let you know about a great children's book/movie that I read/watched with my daughter or a great parenting book/movie that I have found useful during my time as a stay at home dad.

My first book/movie review will be of a book that was given to me by my mother-in-law.  First of all, she is awesome at finding deals at Goodwill and other thrift stores, and always seems to come up with something very interesting in the most timely fashion.  For instance, I happened to mention that I was watching the movie The Mission (starring Robert DeNiro and Jeremy Irons) and I really enjoyed the musical soundtrack by Ennio Morricone.  Sure enough, within two weeks, she had purchased a spotless copy of the soundtrack for me from Goodwill.  AMAZING!

The book is called Deceptively Delicious: Simple Secrets to Get Your Kids Eating Good Food by Jessica Seinfeld (yes, Jerry's wife).  See how awesome my mother-in-law is?  I just posted about deceiving your kids on Friday, and by Monday, I have a new book.  The premise of the book is using pureed veggies and fruits in regular recipes to get your kids to eat healthy.  This is a fantastic strategy!  First, the author walks you through all of the kitchen equipment you will need.  Then she gives you the information about the fruits and veggies so you know how to cook them properly.  The back half of the book is all recipes.  They are easy to make and often involve having the kids help.  The book is not just a cooking book; it is a guide to life.  There are a lot of first-hand experiences included, as well as quotes from Jerry and the kids.  It is also full of great ideas for making mealtime fun again and not the "chore" it once was.  I recommend this book for any parent who fights the daily battle to get kids to eat their veggies.

# # #

"Product Review" - This feature will function much like the book/movie review.  I will highlight a product (or service) that has made parenting a little bit easier, or I will let you know about a product we tried but didn't like.  I may also clue you in on how to re-use an item (as you will see in today's feature).

A product that we found very useful in our home was the Boppy.  We happened to have the Boppy "Lounger" which is a big comfy cradle of sorts for a newborn that cannot yet roll over.  These things are great!  My daughter loved chilling out in it any time of day, and it is a great way to have your baby in the same room while you try to accomplish some other task.  Infants should never be left unattended in the Boppy.  You never know when your child might learn to roll over.  My wife and I do not have a large home, so when we feel like our child is "finished" with something, be it a toy, bottles, or other item, we try to remove it from our home via yard sale, consignment or donation.  However, we never got around to giving the Boppy away, and I'm glad we didn't.  Now we put in on the floor for our one year old and use it as a "reading nest."  Whenever baby wants to read a book, she picks one out, and she gets into the nest.  I lay on the floor next to her and we read our books together.

# # #

"Creepy Kid's TV Clip" - This feature is exactly what it sounds like.  I will find clips from children's television that just creep me out, and I will share them with you.



Creepy, right?

1 comment:

  1. I don't think the song/message is creepy. The blue characters with those big eyes are another story.

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...